21 March 2012

Rear suspension and diff trial fit

I've been having fun up the shed and have some progress to report.

I removed the original diff and leaf springs. It was a bigger job than I estimated, some seized nuts in some difficult places. I ended up using the gas axe to cut through the springs as the front mounts were in a tricky spot making removal a pain even without having seized and rusted stuff to deal with. i'm glad I'm not restoring her - so I can be a bit brutal when removing stubborn parts.

Tonight I spent a few hours up the shed after work - I got the Jag rear end trial fitted to see how things line up.

I'm very happy with how it all lines up - it's almost like it was made to go under the Wolseley! The distance between the chassis rails lines up very well with the distance between the mounts on the rear suspension cradle.
IMG_1364.jpg
IMG_1357.jpg

The trailing arms line perfectly with the front suspension leaf mounts! 8) My engineer will love this! :)
IMG_1360.jpg

Plenty of clearance between the tyre and the inner guard, no need to tub this baby. I will be running tyres that are 10 mm wider (215 as opposed to the 205s that are on the rims currently.
IMG_1361.jpg

The mark shows roughly the centreline of the existing rear axle. As can be seen, I need to move the whole assembly forward a smidge. It was getting late and I didn't want to dick around with it any further tonight.
IMG_1363.jpg

Things line up fairly well for the outer tyre edge clearance to the guard. Still need to look closely at this, I still might need to widen the guards slightly.
IMG_1367.jpg
IMG_1368.jpg

Tomorrow night I plan to compress the springs to ride height and drop the vehicle down and see how it all lines up. I might put the rear guards on too.

The new job is going great, I love working closer to home - it means I can do cool stuff up the shed after work! :lol: I'll sleep well tonight.

Andrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Navigate direct to other pages in my Blog